Live Session with senior RedHat Professionals: Learned real-used cases of Ansible & Ansible Tower
In these times of pandemic, working remotely & using Automation is not just a choice but has become a compulsion for the companies. Anyway performing any task or process multiple no. times, especially on the Enterprise level, can a very tedious & error-prone job, there Automation has become a necessity.
I had really amazing learning from some very senior RedHat professionals on 28th Dec 2020. Such a great session which can be described in words from such amazing RedHat Instructors. Most of the session was practical learning based comprising various real Enterprise level used cases.
Three fundamental take-aways from the sessions are:
• The focus should be on automating each & every repeating task and all of them comprise to form larger complex tasks.
• To teach is to learn twice.
• Learning from other automation task is the best way to learn & it can be taken forward by thinking out of the box.
What all I learned:
- Ansible can be used for almost any kind of automation including works like configuration, provisioning, Security management, application deployment, orchestration, & so on.
- Ansible is one of the most used Automation tools today, so we should try to automate every smallest repeating process using Ansible.
- Most of the session & demo were based on Ansible Tower, & what additional benefits it provides than normal Ansible CLI.
- Also learned about Python Virtual Environment (PVE), how it can be helpful for Automation purposes especially using Ansible.
Practical Learning with Demos included:
- Creating AWS resources including VPC, EC2-instances, routing, Security Groups, etc using Ansible Tower, also leaned about the Credential feature.
- Connected Ansible Tower to Slack as a smart messaging tool to notify our team members about the development process.
- Then used Ansible Tower for provisioning Virtual Machines over RHV (RedHat Virtualization).
- Then learned about Workflow & workflow visualizer feature by creating a workflow for deploying web app first in test env then in prod env, only after confirmed by the developer to proceed.
- Created PVE, & used Credential Types for authenticating into Oracle Cloud which is by default not directly supported. Then Configured various resources on the Oracle Cloud.
- Then some discussion over terminologies related to Ansible Tower, like Collections, Job scheduling, and many more.